Regulations for Self-Employment Visa?


In the visa requirements, there is a line, which says: "Handelsregisterauszug und notarielle Gründungsurkunde mit 2 Kopien". As we have an interview in October 2019 for self-employment visas, I'm so confused. As we do not have any company yet and we do not have any visa to register the company (we are Non-EU), how can I obtain it?


Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in setting up a business in Germany.

Make it in Germany provides international professionals with information on working and living in Germany. Detailed information on setting up a business are also available on “Make it in Germany”.

In our visa section of “Make it in Germany” you will find information on the visa process for entrepreneurs and freelancers. This information is general and serves as a first point of reference. Only the German missions and the foreigners’ authorities are responsible for the specification and evaluation of the required documents and for the issuance of visa resp. residence permits. For further questions, please contact directly the respective authority.

Furthermore we can recommend, that you contact the experts of the hotline “Working and Living in Germany” under the telephone number +49 30 1815 – 1111. The hotline offers personalized information and advice, in German or English, on the following topics:

  1. Job search, work and careers
  2. Recognition of foreign vocational qualifications
  3. Entry and residence
  4. Learning German

For further Information regarding setting up a business in Germany, please visit the Website "Make it in Germany".

Reference: Justina Alichniewicz
Projekt „Make it in Germany“
Institut der deutschen Wirtschaft Köln e.V.
Oktober 2019

Notes from the editor: